(and how it affects your purpose in life)
In addition to our core essence or soul archetype, each of us has additional tendencies at the soul level that influence our way of being. It’s all to do with the “casting” of unity into diversity.
I am often asked if it is possible to identify with more than one essence role or soul type. In fact, it is almost impossible not to.
Take me, for example. I am a Scholar soul in essence, yet I have a way of being a Scholar that is somewhat like a Sage. Okay, I am nowhere near as outgoing as a typical Sage. In fact, I am generally quiet and studious like a typical Scholar. But put me in a room filled with Scholars and I will stand out from the rest as being relatively outgoing, fun-loving, witty and expressive.
It is all to do with how souls are organized (or “cast”) into groups.
First of all, each of us belongs to a family or team of souls — our own little family group, all of the same essence type.
I, for example, belong to a small group of Scholars. If you are an Artisan, then you will belong to a small group of Artisans.
In the jargon of the Michael teachings, this small group is sometimes referred to as a cadence. (More on this below.)
Our cadence mates are our spiritual siblings — our closest soul mates.
Secondly, each member of a group has a distinct role to play within the group.
This team role is equivalent to one of the seven archetypes (King, Scholar, etc.). Why? It’s just how consciousness naturally self-organizes, having these seven different ways of being that can interact with one another. It happens as the One becomes many, like light going through a prism (creating the seven essence types), and it happens again as the souls within each type organize into groups.
The entire cosmos can be likened to a beautifully elaborate musical performance, a vast symphony. At the highest level, the symphony unfolds as a sequence of movements — these include the stages of soul evolution. Within each movement there is an interplay of notes and chords that can be harmonious, dissonant, melodic, rhythmic, and so on.
The first movement is where the original, undifferentiated oneness breaks down or fragments into a multitude of different souls (the single, harmonious vibration separates into many different tones ). The overall universe is still in harmony, but at the micro-level there is great divergence in vibrations.
In the lingo of the Michael teachings, this cosmic movement of creation, from unity to diversity, is referred to as casting. Think of actors being cast into roles for a play. Or perhaps, think of molten gold being poured (cast) into molds to make beautiful objects, all made from the same substance (gold) but each unique in its own way.
The last level of unity or harmony before complete fragmentation is the cadence, a set of seven.
In music, the word cadence refers to a configuration of notes or chords that bring closure to a piece of music, such as a song. In the Michael teachings, a cadence is the lowest or final level of fragmentation and casting.
Once reincarnation gets underway, dissonance sets in. At times, each soul is like a musician stubbornly playing his own tune, regardless of the rest of the orchestra.
But then spiritual evolution continues apace towards the restoration of harmony (unity) as the fragments (souls) gradually seek their ideal place and play their perfect part in the overall symphony.
This reintegration into rhythm and harmony begins where the fragmentation ended – the cadence.
Ultimately, each soul comes to know itself as integral to the whole performance, the entire Tao.
So in addition to being the expression of some archetypal essence (King, Server, etc), we are also cast into specific positions within soul groups, each of us playing a particular function within our own team.
Each of seven positions resonates with one of the seven archetypes:
The casting roles/functions within any soul team consist of:
- 1st / Server-cast: care, nurturing
- 2nd / Artisan-cast: creativity, inventiveness
- 3rd / Warrior-cast: action, productivity
- 4th / Scholar-cast: research, knowledge
- 5th / Sage-cast: expression, wisdom
- 6th / Priest-cast: vision, inspiration
- 7th / King-cast: command, decisiveness
Imagine, for example, a soul group (or cadence) made up of Artisans, like the one below.
Within this group, one will be a bit like an inspiring coach (the Priest-cast Artisan), one will be a bit of a knowledge specialist (the Scholar-cast Artisan), and so on. There will even be one Artisan in the team playing an inventive, Artisan-like role (the Artisan-cast Artisan).
They are all Artisans at core; that is their primary nature. At the same time, though, they will each have this other, secondary quality that comes from their casting. The ratio of the two energies (essence to casting) is probably something like 70:30.
Coming back to myself as an example, I am a Sage-cast Scholar. So along with my primary thrust as a knowledge-obsessed Scholar I also bring a Sage-like energy of outward expressiveness. This means that as a Scholar I love to spread my knowledge about in a way that is both lucid and entertaining.
Here is an incomplete list of some more real-life examples (caveat: some of these are my own tentative assessments). I will add more as I become aware of them:
- 1st / Server-cast Servers:
- 2nd / Artisan-cast Servers:
- 3rd / Warrior-cast Servers:
- Nelson Mandela
- 4th / Scholar-cast Servers:
- Jonas Salk (US medical researcher – developed polio vaccine)
- Florence Nightingale (English nursing pioneer & statistician)
- Jonas Salk (US medical researcher – developed polio vaccine)
- 5th / Sage-cast Servers:
- 6th / Priest-cast Servers:
- the Dalai Lama
- 7th / King-cast Servers:
- Queen Victoria
- 1st / Server-cast Artisans:
- Brian Wilson (of the Beach Boys band)
- 2nd / Artisan-cast Artisans:
- will.i.am? (i.e. William James Adams Jr., musician/producer)
- 3rd / Warrior-cast Artisans:
- David Beckham?
- 4th / Scholar-cast Artisans:
- Jim Henson (TV puppeteer),
- Peter Paul Rubens (Flemish 17C painter)
- 5th / Sage-cast Artisans:
- Mozart + Michael Jackson (or pos. Artisan-cast Sage)
- 6th / Priest-cast Artisans:
- 7th / King-cast Artisans:
- Miles Davis (jazz musician)
- Rudolf Nureyev (dancer)
- 1st / Server-cast Warriors:
- Colin Powell (US general/statesman)
- Colin Powell (US general/statesman)
- 2nd / Artisan-cast Warriors:
- Diana Ross
- Prince Charles?
- 3rd / Warrior-cast Warriors:
- 4th / Scholar-cast Warriors:
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
- 5th / Sage-cast Warriors:
- Judi Dench
- 6th / Priest-cast Warriors:
- 7th / King-cast Warriors:
- 1st / Server-cast Scholars:
- 2nd / Artisan-cast Scholars:
- Vladimir Horowitz (classical pianist)
- 3rd / Warrior-cast Scholars:
- 4th / Scholar-cast Scholars:
- 5th / Sage-cast Scholars:
- John Edwards (U.S. Sen.)
- Joe Morton (actor)
- Jorge Luis Borges (Argentine writer)
- Vasco da Gama (Portuguese explorer)
- Barry (me!)
- 6th / Priest-cast Scholars:
- 7th / King-cast Scholars:
- Ben Affleck
- Ken Wilber
- Michelle Obama
- 1st / Server-cast Sages:
- Troy Tolley (Michael channel)
- 2nd / Artisan-cast Sages:
- Vaslav Nijinski (dancer)
- Isadora Duncan (dancer)
- Andrew Cohen (ex-guru)
- (pos. Mozart & Michael Jackson?)
- 3rd / Warrior-cast Sages:
- Tina Turner
- Lenny Bruce
- 4th / Scholar-cast Sages:
- Rachel Maddow (TV host)
- 5th / Sage-cast Sages:
- Shepherd Hoodwin (Michael channel)
- 6th / Priest-cast Sages:
- Prince (singer)
- Nick Sweeney (Michael channel)
- 7th / King-cast Sages:
- Orson Welles (actor-director)
- 1st / Server-cast Priests:
- Mahatma Gandhi
- 2nd / Artisan-cast Priests:
- 3rd / Warrior-cast Priests:
- 4th / Scholar-cast Priests:
- Barack Obama
- James Baldwin (writer)
- 5th / Sage-cast Priests:
- Pierre Trudeau (Canadian PM)
- 6th / Priest-cast Priests:
- 7th / King-cast Priests:
- Ed Harris? (US actor-director-producer) ~ or possibly Priest-cast King
- 1st-cast / Server-cast Kings:
- 2nd / Artisan-cast Kings:
- Cate Blanchett (Australian actor)
- Donald Trump?(US politician)
- Richard Branson? (UK business magnate)
- 3rd / Warrior-cast Kings:
- James Cameron (US film director)
- Mitt Romney (US politician)
- 4th / Scholar-cast Kings:
- Jake Chapman (UK university lecturer, and a friend of mine)
- Deepak Chopra?
- 5th / Sage-cast Kings:
- Alice Miller (Swiss psychologist)
- Lucy Lawless (NZ actor),
- Gore Vidal (US writer/politician)
- Simon Cowell? (UK music/TV magnate & talent judge)
- 6th / Priest-cast Kings:
- Saladin (Sultan of Egypt & Syria), Ed Harris?
- 7th / King-cast Kings:
So, this is why we can usually sense more than one archetypal energy within ourselves, though one will be predominant (the core essence or soul type) and the other will be secondary (the casting). Your casting is like an outer layer of archetypal energy enveloping your core essence, affecting how you operate as that soul type. Or to put it another way: your essence is how you exist, how are within yourself. Your casting shapes show you convey or interpret your essence in the context of relating to others.
I say we can “usually” sense more than one because there are of course some souls who have the same archetypal qualities both in their essence and in their casting. An Artisan who is cast into the Artisan-like team position, for example, will be almost ludicrously creative and inventive. They will also be more easily recognisable as an Artisan than, say, a King-cast Artisan, because they will be much more like the Artisan “stereotype”.
(I dare say will.i.am is almost certainly an Artisan-cast Artisan — not only is he inventive and imaginative in himself, but he is also inventive and imaginative in the way he conveys himself to others)
The bigger picture
Not only are our souls cast into positions within groups, but our groups are cast into specific positions within larger groups, and so on and so on… Ultimately, we all belong to the same infinitely large cosmic family, yet each of us has a unique place within it.
It would be of no value to the Source to create billions and billions of clones. Instead, each and every evolving consciousness has an absoluetly unique presence in the great scheme of things, a bit like the way each computer on the Internet has a unique IP address.
There is not another soul in the cosmos with the same quality of presence as you.