The seven soul types: what do they look like?

I’ve been adding some pictures to my pages about the seven soul types (as described in the Michael teachings). Specifically, I’ve done seven facial caricatures to show what each one tends to look like (at least to me), highlighting and exaggerating the main features — the Scholar’s prominent brow, for example, and the Priest’s intense eyes.

Below I’m showing them all together on one page, with a number of famous faces as representative examples in each case.

Now, I’ll readily admit that it’s quite easy to find exceptions to the rule. Yes, you can probably point to a famous Priest soul incarnation who looks nothing like the Priest ‘stereotype’ shown below. Fair cop. Not all Priests have definite almond-shaped heads. But I see this is as a general approximation, a pattern, not a hard-and-fast rule.

And of course, head/face shapes will vary according to body size. Going by shape alone, for example, a Sage who is small in stature like Miley Cyrus looks a bit like an Artisan. But that’s just the shape. You can still spot the Sage in Miley Cyrus because a Sage’s face has also a firm, elastic and shiny quality (as it’s always on the move) while an Artisan’s tends to be soft and very ‘composed’. You have to look at the whole package — not just shapes but also tones and movements. And in the Sage’s case, the motormouth is also a dead giveaway!

See what you think.

A d v e r t i s e m e n t

S E R V E R

Servers are gentle, genial souls. Facially, they often characterised by a rounded head, sometimes potato-shaped, with soft, sagging features and smallish, tired-looking eyes. Rounded shoulders are also typical.

The Server’s baseline expression varies between one of sorrowful pity (when they focus on the common woes of life, like Mother Teresa) and sweet, innocent cheerfulness (when they focus on the common good, like the Dalai Lama). But either way, there is a basic vibe of harmlessness.

Typical traits: accommodating, caring, modest, dedicated, unassuming, homely, downtrodden, melancholic.

Desmond Tutu
Florence Nightingale Albert Schweizer

A R T I S A N

Artisans tend to have heart-shaped or cup-shaped faces, together with a dreamy, unfocused, faraway look in their eyes. Where Sages have a starry twinkle in the eyes, Artisans have mysterious portals into their inner worlds.

Their facial expression tends to look very composed, as though they were sitting for a portrait (indeed, many models are Artisans). The mood of the expression can vary between a childlike playfulness and a very broody look of being lost in deep thought, as though contemplating some tricky arithmetic (which I suppose Einstein frequently was).

Artisans have a habit of creating a striking image for themselves which both attracts attention and at the same time serves as an outer façade behind which they can hide. This includes a tendency to go for distinctive hairstyles and clothes.

Typical traits: inventive, imaginative, innovative, idiosyncratic, flaky, ditzy.

Albert Einstein
Jackie Chan Michael Jackson
Woody Allen Naomi Campbell

W A R R I O R

Warriors look distinctly solid and physical, tough, firm-skinned, perhaps leathery, and very much at home in their bodies. The head-shape can be quite straight, a bit like a jar.

Like Kings, Warriors tend to be hard and angular, but the telling features are the low eyebrows and the ready-for-action expression which varies between “Yeah, let’s do this!” and “Nobody screw with me!”

Typical traits: forceful, assertive, loyal, protective, determined, ruthless, vicious.

Judi Dench Benito Mussolini

S C H O L A R

Scholars tend to look intelligent but somewhat unexpressive and socially detached. They usually have a large, flat forehead and relatively hollow, deadpan features. The mouth is naturally shut rather than open. In contrast to the Sage, the Scholar’s face looks like it isn’t used much for expressiveness.

The eyes can look deep-set, partly because the Scholar’s attention is usually somewhere inside their brain rather than out there where the action is, and partly because the prominent brow can overhang the eyes, adding to the Scholar’s observing-rather-than-participating look.

With Scholars, it’s all happening inside the head; their mind is always busy processing, absorbing, learning. Overall, I would say Scholars have a look of benign detachment.

Typical traits: curious, knowledgeable, analytical, dry, pedantic, detached, neutral, aloof.

Charles Darwin
Margaret Thatcher
Ho Chi Minh Marlee Matlin

S A G E

Sages’ facial features are often unusually big, open and elongated or elasticated, perhaps even cartoon-like. In addition, they often have a twinkle of mischievous merriment in the eyes, as though itching to tell a joke or share some scandalous gossip.

The face is a key means of expression and the Sage’s face is always ‘on’. Their cheeks tend to be a prominent feature, rounded from lots of smiling and joking. The whole face is like an inflated balloon.

Young-soul Sages are all all eyes and teeth with their big, sparkly smiles. Old-soul sages like Osho are more mellow and look like, well, happy sages.

Typical traits: eloquent, witty, gregarious, flamboyant, effusive, attention-seeking, loud, verbose.

Mariah Carey

P R I E S T

Priests tend to have almond-shaped heads, and cat-like eyes that point forwards very directly. I’ve also noticed that the eyes can sometimes seem ‘upside-down’, with the upper lid being more open than the lower. Also with Priests, the corners of the mouth often look sharply pointed.

The Priestly facial expression suggests a strongly felt desire to make things right or better. This typically varies between one of stern disapproval (when they focus on what’s presently wrong with the world as they see it) and rapturous enthusiasm (as they focus on realising some higher potential).

The Priest’s gaze often has an inflamed, hypnotic intensity which can look strikingly beautiful — or strikingly sinister, depending on where the Priest is coming from.

Typical traits: fervent, visionary, hope-inspiring, earnest, uplifting, preachy, fanatical.

Christopher Walken

Uri Gellar

Carl Jung

K I N G

Kings tend to be distinguished by a solid-looking block-like head with ‘meaty’ or ‘granite’ features. There is often a broad, muscular, well-defined jawline.

The face reveals a self-assured, commanding expression with a very masculine look of authority that says “I know exactly what I’m doing,” — the flip-side of which is a withering look that says “You don’t know what the hell you’re doing.”

Typical traits: commanding, masterful, self-assured, decisive, harsh, imperious.

Sean Connery
Sandra Day O'Conner
Katherine Hepburn

And finally…

See if you can guess the soul type of this handsome psychologist and blog writer:

Further reading

If you’d like to read more about the seven soul types and how each one operates at home, at work and in relationships, I can strongly recommend this book –

7 PERSONALITY TYPES by sociologist/counsellor Elizabeth Puttick, Ph.D. (Hay House, 2009).

Amazon link

173 Responses to “The seven soul types: what do they look like?”

1. 1 N TA 01 May 2014 at 10:47 pm

i don’t know what soul type i am.. i just can’t figure it out i think im a priest because of my warm and focused eyes but i LOVE sports.. im extremely compettive and have to be number one .. but other times im so selfless that i wanna give so much to everyone..

these are some pictures of me >

• 2 barry 03 May 2014 at 9:54 am

Hi N

Well my primary impression is Warrior, which would explain the sporty competitiveness (do you also have a strong co-operative team spirit?). I don’t see the luminous focus of a Priest so much, but yes, there is a gentleness to your eyes which suggests you’re aware of others’ needs. Selflessness can be interpreted in different ways: from pure altruism to neurotic martyrdom, but your urge to give sounds like a healthy and natural inspiration to serve.

So I’m slightly stumped here… but at a guess maybe a Priest-cast or Server-cast Warrior. My confidence level on this one is pretty low, so I could be way off. :S

cheers

B

• 3 N TA 04 May 2014 at 1:19 pm

yes i also have a strong co-operative team spirit, my team has to win even if its just for fun haha.
        And since i was young i remember i always wanted to be in charge or atleast i thought i would know whats best for everyone and if i wasn’t in charge or people wouldn’t listen to me i had this rebellious attitude, one of the reasons i quit my football team but i stll have it i just toned it down a bit. maybe king-like? everytime i took the test i resonated most with Priest,King and warrior

2. 4 Michele Powell 09 Jun 2014 at 1:48 am

Mature, level 5, warrior… this is pretty damn cool!

3. 5 Tom 13 Jun 2014 at 5:11 pm

I belive i’ve been, and still can be nearly all types, I seem to channel all at various rates, I have also seen my face change to soft eyed, hard eyed, and my personality traits, behaviours and interests, also positive/negative polarities, at frightening rates. I don’t know what’s going on, but something is…

• 6 Michele Powell 13 Jun 2014 at 5:53 pm

I am quite the same, but I went with the one that I saw most often. The one that makes the biggest impact when I look in the mirror or at photos.

4. 7 Louisa 13 Jul 2014 at 8:27 am

Brilliant article that I keep coming back to. I’m an Astrologer and so fascinated by the inner motivations and patterns of people (i’m pretty sure I’m a priest too). If you’re interested in whether these patterns link up, I’d be happy to get involved. Though being a scholar, I’ll understand if astrology sounds a bit flakey! Thanks again

5. 8 Dawn 23 Jul 2014 at 11:50 am

I’m an artisan, priest, and server (:

6. 9 Tobiah Goss 29 Jul 2014 at 7:50 pm

Hmmm. I think I’d put myself down as a combination of scholar and king. Thoughts/comments/etc?

• 10 barry 08 Aug 2014 at 4:11 am

Hmm, the link just says pic removed or not available.
      Looking you up on Google+, though, my first impression was actually Warrior – but that is entirely based on one pic of you in sunglasses striking a Warrior-like pose!
      B

7. 11 Cassandra 05 Aug 2014 at 2:08 pm

Can angels be real, someone told me that im an angel?

• 12 barry 05 Aug 2014 at 4:38 pm

Well, we are all beings of light, at least between lives, so if “angel” means “being of light” then yes you are – we all are. But as far as I know an angel is a particular type of being — one who doesn’t do reincarnation — unlike us “souls” who are beings who have chosen to evolve through reincarnation.
      B

8. 13 candice heath 01 Sep 2014 at 8:53 am

I say that guy is a scholar? Am i right

• 14 barry 01 Sep 2014 at 8:57 am

That guy says yes you are right!
      5th-level Mature Scholar (Sage casting)

9. 15 Uniquecorn 07 Sep 2014 at 3:05 pm

I had so much fun reading almost all of the articles here, pretty amazing!
    I am very curious about my good friend/role model who is a musician…
    And also just as curious to know what type do I look like.
    I would kindly appreciate your opinion, keep up the good work :)

• 16 barry 09 Sep 2014 at 8:40 am

Hi Uniquecorn

Thanks for that.

Well, I found some portrait shots of you that were easier to interpret (http://instagram.com/p/isFVM6ozOJ/, http://instagram.com/p/hOshwHIzBQ/, http://instagram.com/p/gJLqP7ozMa/), and you come across very much as an Artisan and probably with Priest casting.

(Hmm, yet again, another young woman with the same type as my wife – I wonder if I am projecting!?!)

And as for Karl, I would guess Artisan with Warrior casting.

P.S. – I too am addicted to Nutella!

10. 17 Mindsend 15 Sep 2014 at 7:43 pm

Physically, I seem to be a “Young Soul” Sage (you can see my face in this link)

However personality wise I seem to hold equal parts Sage, Scholar, and Artisan, and I’ve been told on repeat occasions by other people that I’m an “Old Soul yet young at heart” (I’ve also been compaired to both Galapagos tortoises in patience, a wise master in observational wisdom, and a Cheshire Cat in behavior)..

What exactly does this make me?

• 18 barry 16 Sep 2014 at 11:17 am

Confused, of course!

Ha, well I’m pretty sure I see a Sage with Artisan casting, possibly mode of Passion, young in physical age but not necessarily in soul age. There’s a very creative dimension to your witty expressiveness.

B

Leave a question or comment (I can't always respond but will do my best ...)

Enlightenment Intensives

If you have ever wanted to experience for yourself a moment of genuine spiritual awakening, or if you simply want to know who you truly are, then an Enlightenment Intensive could be for you. Highly recommended.

In the USA, see:

In the UK:

Or to find out more, see my articles here:

Recommended book

Spiritual Turning Points

A Metaphysical Perspective of the Seven Life Transitions

Amazon link

Author:

Victoria Marina-Tompkins

Publisher:

Xlibris, Corp. (January 25, 2011)

A groundbreaking look at the Seven Life Transitions --

• Birth
  • the Terrible Twos
  • Adolescence
  • Mid-life Crisis
  • Life Review
  • Dying
  • Death

-- through the lens of the Michael Teachings, Shamanism and Astrology.

Order from Amazon: