Those undergoing the fourth stage of reincarnation are known as mature souls. At this stage, life is about embracing otherness — other perspectives, other people, other cultures, other parts of one’s own being.

____________________________________________________________________

Knowing Me, Knowing You

____________________________________________________________________

The lives of mature souls focus on exploring the true nature of self, life and especially others. Reaching beyond the forthright independence of the third stage, the major challenge at this fourth stage is to discover how to live inter-dependently with others, and other-ness in general.

So …

• Whereas the young soul focuses on being assertive, competitive and successful, the mature soul focuses on being sensitive, cooperative and authentic.
  • Whereas a young soul insists that its own perspective is right, the mature soul recognises that other perspectives are equally valid.
  • Whereas for the young soul self-interest is all-important, the mature soul is more concerned with the self-other relationship.

Mature Soul Perceptions

The mature soul develops an ever-deepening sense of both self and others. Life is no longer simply a matter of what happens out there in the world, but also what is going on “in here”, where we are coming from, what it all means.

Through understanding more and more of its own psychology, the mature soul also learns about what makes others tick. They come to recognise that all others are their equals, at least on the inside. In fact, their own perspective is nothing but one among many equally valid perspectives.

In other words:

I see life from my perspective and you see life from your perspective. I accept that my point of view is just another perspective, and not necessarily the only ‘correct’ one. All perspectives are equally valid. And we can arrive at mutual understanding by sharing our perspectives with each other.

As an aside, you can see something of this respect for others’ perspectives in, for example, the films of Steven Spielberg (a Mature Artisan). Whereas stories like Jaws and War of the Worlds could have been little more than routine action movies, the director manages to show the validity and fluidity of each character’s perspective – whether child or adult, male or female, strong or weak.

Empathy

At this level there is also the development of empathy — appreciating others’ experiences from their perspective.

I can appreciate how you experience life. I can perceive life as you perceive it. I know how you feel, and I understand why. Though our perceptions are not the same, we are all the same on the inside.

But the mature soul’s sense of self can become confusing because of this empathy with others:

I am very aware of how you perceive me, how you feel about me. I can also identify with you, yet I am not you. So who am I?

The mature soul keeps being reminded that all perspectives are valid but not necessarily correct, and that there are perspectives on perspectives on perspectives… So begins the search for a deeper truth that will ultimately lead back to oneness.

Other Mature Soul Characteristics

In contrast to the outward-bound adventures of the young soul, there is at this level an inward focus on perceptions, meanings, issues, relationships and the meaning of life.

Mature souls seek understanding, authenticity and integrity, especially in relationships, but also in other aspects of life including art and spirituality. They come to appreciate both the diversity and complexity of life, but there can be a lot of ‘naval gazing’ as they struggle to get to the bottom of it all.

Because of their willingness to accept and include others, and their empathy for others’ experiences, mature souls can be overly self-critical at times. While young souls tend to blame anyone but themselves for their own problems, mature souls will readily look for their own faults.

And whereas young souls like to have their own opinions and assert them forcibly, mature souls are more ambivalent when it comes to taking sides on any issue.

At the beginning of the stage, they will tend to reject and criticise the competitive, materialistic thrust of young soul culture. (Ironically, many mature soul writers, artists and performers have achieved fame and fortune this way.)

But by the end of the stage – sensitive to life’s complexities – the very fact of holding a strong black-and-white opinion for or against anything (even against young soul culture!) comes to seem dubious and even absurd.

Mature Soul Relationships

More than any at other soul stage, mature souls are likely to bond for life in a positive, loving, intimate partnership. It is a time for soul mates to get together and help each other work through their issues to create a mature, healthy relationship.

At this level, love is generally experienced and expressed as appreciation, a genuine acceptance of the otherness of another.

Irrespective of whether you make me feel good or not, and irrespective of how you feel about me, I love you for who you are.

The mature soul is attracted to opportunities to express this appreciation of otherness, or diversity, the more unfamiliar and ‘alien’ the better. For example, one may develop a love of exotic wildlife or of foreign cultures.

Mature Soul Lifestyles

Mature souls can have sophisticated, avant-garde or post-modern sensibilities, but in private they may struggle with basic emotional issues. Because life is now all about optimising one’s relationships with anything and everything, mature souls can find life to be intensely complex and stressful, filled with emotional turmoil, sometimes overwhelmingly so. Inner conflict is very common.

Hence there is often a need to find time and space for introspection, or psychotherapy, or perhaps an artistic outlet, to confront the confusion and negativity within oneself.

Hence also a desire to keep well away from both the enforced limitations of baby soul cultures and the me-first competitiveness of young soul cultures. Do it any place but here is the mature soul motto, and this often shows in their facial expression.

There also emerges at this level a desire to explore the deeper and quieter forms of spirituality, such as Zen Buddhism. Mature souls tend to gravitate to liberal, multicultural places like London and San Francisco, though they prefer the relative tranquillity of the suburbs to the push and shove of the city centre.

Some Famous Mature Souls

There are many well-known mature souls, predominantly in the arts. In contrast to the “can do, will do” attitude of young souls, it is the subtlety, sensitivity and sincerity behind mature soul accomplishments that makes them stand out. Many of the world’s great artists, novelists and musicians have been mature souls, including Botticelli, Michaelangelo, William Shakespeare, Virginia Woolf, Dostoyevsky and Van Gogh

Mature souls: Michaelangelo, Shakespeare, and Van Gogh

… as well as Mozart, who apparently reincarnated as Michael Jackson.

The same soul? W.A. Mozart and Michael Jackson

Many of the world’s great movie actors are mature souls (as opposed to self-stylerd movie stars, who tend to be young souls). As the mature Artisan Michael Caine has said, a movie star will want to change a script to better suit their public image, while a movie actor will change themselves to better fit the script. Some obvious examples of Mature soul actors include Kate Winslet, Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep and Helena Bonham Carter.

Soul mates? Mature Artisans Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter

In the field of politics, mature soul leaders tend to be liberal, inclusive and internationalist rather than conservative and nationalistic. This is something many baby and young souls can find incomprehensible and detestable.

Recent examples include Tony Blair and Barack Obama (both typically earnest Mature Priests).

Tony Blair Barack Obama

____________________________________________________________________

The Five Stages of Reincarnation

Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Infant Soul Baby Soul Young Soul Mature Soul Old Soul

PersonalitySpirituality.net

Related Posts

153 Responses to “Stage 4: The Mature Soul”

1. 1 Brenda Rodriguez 02 Sep 2013 at 3:57 am

Hii Barry thank you so much for your insight, I was wondering how could I get a reading from the Michael channel?! and how is it possible for me to get an Enlightment Intensive?! thank you so much again for your valuable feedback.

• 2 barry 25 Sep 2013 at 6:45 pm

Whoops, sorry Brenda, forgot to replay to you.

Michael readings: see the links at the bottom of my page on the Michael teachings ( http://personalityspirituality.net/articles/the-michael-teachings/ ) or see the more comprehensive listing here – http://www.michaelteachings.com/mresources.html

For Enlightenment Intensives, it depends where in the world you are (or how far you are prepared to travel). Just do a google search on “enlightenment Intensives” adding “dates” and your country/state. I know that they can be found in USA, Canada, Italy, France, UK, Ireland, Australia and bits of Eastern Europe.

~ Barry

2. 3 Anonymouse 19 Sep 2013 at 8:01 pm

I think I am a mature soul, but my twin flame was a young soul. How is this possible?

• 4 barry 25 Sep 2013 at 1:40 pm

Well, there are several possibilities:
      1. You have evolved further than your twin, despite starting out at the same time. That doesn’t mean you’re better or a “fast learner”; just that everyone goes at whatever pace they fancy.
      2. You could be 1st level Mature while the other is 7th level Young – hardly different at all.
      3. Channelling error: The information about your level, or the other’s level, is inaccurate.
      4. Channeling error: The person in question isn’t actually your twin soul.
      I think that covers all the possibilities!
      Cheers
      B

3. 5 Cassurina 22 Oct 2013 at 3:50 am

I love this! Is there really a definite way to tell if your soul is infant, baby, young, mature or old? I’m 21 and have always been told that I’ve got an old head on young shoulders, and I seem to always have this inner turmoil that you describe here. I love reading these by the way!

• 6 barry 26 Oct 2013 at 1:10 pm

Hi Cassurina

One of my projects (ongoing… long-term… *cough*) is to come up with a test that will help pin-point soul age. One of the problems is that people — young people in particular — tend to assess themselves by looking at their own outer behaviour. But their behaviour is (to begin with) far more a function of how they fit in to their family and peer groups than a manifestation of their actual level of consciousness. Nevertheless, people do have a sense of themselves on the inside, and it is the depth of this that I would like to get at. The older the soul, the deeper the inner sense of me. Soul age = depth of self-awareness.

In the meantime, how about this as a rough guide…

1. If you lack a conscience, and don’t even understand the concept, then you are probably an Infant soul. Infant souls are driven by impulse. Their sense of self is limited to getting what they want, and their sense of others is limited to the threats or opportunities that others present.

2. If you do have a conscience, and hold it above all else, then you are probably a Baby soul. Baby souls are driven by a need to do the right and proper thing, which is strictly defined by an ingrained sense of morality. Their sense of others is “us” v “them”, “us” being familiar to me (and therefore “good”) and “them” unfamiliar to us (and therefore “unholy”).

3. If you are able to shift your priorities between different goals – from “doing the right thing” to “doing what the hell I feel like”, or vice versa, then you are at least a Young soul. Young souls revel in the power and freedom that goes with the ability to choose one’s own goals. Where they get stuck sometimes is in having dozens of different goals shooting off into different parts of their lives, half of which are actually in direct conflict, or can lead to trouble with others. And yet, they won’t question their goals. Instead, a lot of effort goes into ‘image management’ and ‘damage limitation’ as well as striving.

4. If you are aware of inner conflicts, such as conflicting goals, and are able to reflect on where these different things are coming from in you, or what underlying fears and assumptions are motivating them, then you must at least be a Mature soul. Young souls do not question their own motives – they are committed to achieving them come what may. But Matures souls are self-observers and self-questioners. They can see that specific goals (such as becoming the boss) are options, not necessities, no matter how attractive they may seem. The attraction itself may be questionable. “Perhaps I only want to be the boss so that I can feel good about myself. Wouldn’t it just be better to get to the bottom of my self-esteem issues?”

5. If you recognise that your multiple goals, options, choices, motives, fears – and those of others – are not necessities, and nor are they symptoms of an unresolved complex, but are just fleeting constructs of the psyche, then you are probably an Old soul. Old souls have a “philosophical” appreciation for the value of such complexities and conflicts – the beauty, even – but they are not identified with them, or stuck in them. “In the world but not of it.” Life is not about getting what you want, or doing the right thing, or doing your own thing, or getting to the bottom of things — it’s about being alive and being part of life itself, simply an integral part of the ongoing evolution and creation of meaning.

Hope that helps!

Barry

• 7 Indigo 27 Nov 2013 at 8:31 am

Looking at what you did there, I can say currently I’m at Mature level at the age of 19 since I’m still working on how to translate my soul knowledge into action and understanding in this physical life. I feel like going through the Mature soul stage is important to getting eventually at the Old soul stage, where in times of quiet I can relax into this stage but I wish to take those times of quiet and translate it to the rest of my life.

Currently there’s still the young adult upheavals though, so it can be difficult/tricky to move through that with the Knowing that my soul conveys.

Reading the sites like this gives me hope though. :)

“Watching the Wheels” by John Lennon, a song I recently discovered, that awakens the sense of an Old Soul within me during the daytime when I listen to it, help quite a bit so far in my journey. :)

I still have a very strong sense of independence and free will within me, so while I can appreciate a community I’m very… at heart… almost completely self-sufficient even if in physical body needs I am not truly. I wonder if my independence and desire to express myself comes from years of conformity and all that pressure within to be myself has built up?

Also when I read things like of how past Old Soul stage where we feel a kinship with everything, and reunite into a spirit Entity, I just feel… too independent for that just yet. My sense when I consider it, is myself giving whoever wants me to join in as one voice the finger and just go on my own way regardless of what others want me to do.

Also when my spiritual mentor was talking with me and we were discussing suicides and she said how she wouldn’t like to leave this life half-finished, because she doesn’t like having to do it over again in the next life. She also said that the thought of going up before God with him asking her “Why did you do this? You cut your chances short, and your opportunities short, and now you must repeat it again.” humbles her and makes her want to do as much as she can in this lifetime.

I told her that if I had hypothetically chosen suicide because I simply felt like I couldn’t handle things anymore, and if I came in front of a being that asked me that after death, then it is not any God of mine. Certainly none that I would respect. She looked surprised at that but I said simply that, “In such a situation, I did the best possible thing I could at the time. By that time there’s no regrets, no need to bemoan any “lost” chances. It is what it is. It was my choice. It is no choice that any one can make for me, and not a choice I should make for anyone else. So I’d make that choice and deal with what comes with a clear mind and light heart, knowing that I handled the situation as best as I could and that is simply that.” It seemed to give her pause for thought and we haven’t discussed suicides since lol.

She still keeps being surprised at my rather stubborn sense of free will, where I don’t really follow my angels’ advice even if I choose to hear it. She does what God and the angels tell her to readily, and freely gives her service to others. I… have a bit of trouble within that needs resolution.

That trouble is of “Must we ALL become people in humble service to everyone else? Must we always listen to beings higher than us for what is the “right” thing to do? Must I be dictated to by someone who may see the higher picture but not be able to see the finer details like someone in a physical life can?”

I suppose my fighter spirit snarls at that and says, “Isn’t this a place, a universe, for all SORTS of people rather than just one? If it was just one it’d be boring, dull, dreary, confining! And I refuse to follow any orders of any being I don’t personally know! The instant something is an order, that is the instant I show them the hand to talk to and walk away. If God truly wanted me to become a server type It would’ve made me that way. This is a core almost need to be MYSELF and walk MY OWN path, and make my own mistakes, figure things out on my own, evolve and change in my own way, that does seem to be firmly set in, and if It didn’t want someone to be this way they why did God/It make me this way? With this fire in my heart?”

I don’t necessarily need for anyone to validate my path though, or for anyone else to walk it with me, because nothing would make me happier than to see others walking their own paths. :) Just need to have the freedom to walk my own path and strike out on my own though.

One thing I always abide by, and one phrase I instantly understood and absolutely love is “Do what thou will, harm none.” As well as “All pain stands alone.” A last phrase I adore is, “Nothing is impossible. All things are possible. Just believe~”

Yeah… essentially going through Middle Soul stage turmoil and deliberation right now. I wonder what will come in the future, especially around “Middle age” of a lifetime, where one’s true soul age is said to most easily manifest, especially if one is an old soul.

… I suppose all I have to do is wait and see~

What was, was. What is, is. What will be, will be.~

• 8 Indigo 27 Nov 2013 at 9:33 am

I ruminated over what you said again, particularly the part of “The older the soul, the deeper the inner sense of me. Soul age = depth of self-awareness.” And I just wonder…

I’ve been able at times to just randomly in a meditation, sink so deep within me that I found the core energy of all things and myself, blending into one, no separation or distinction, no abstractions or concepts at that level. I felt true peace and love and just rejuvenating EXISTING at that level. This was in a meditation when I was 15.

When my spiritual mentor guided us to “go to the center of the earth” for grounding meditation, I finished that part within a heartbeat, talked with my spirit guides and heard them clearly, and then soared up in the remaining time to access and unlock and send energy through my celestial chakras as well as physical, and even travelled all the way to the center of the universe, dove into the main Soul complex of which my spirit is only an aspect of, and then just floated within in and conversed with it all as well, then travelled back. My first meditation I ever did was 30 minutes long easily, and surprised me with how long I stayed and how easy it was.

I liked to from 15 to 16 to astral travel through the universe and watch the star formations, the galactic features, and then even skipped through the universe into the multi-verse, where there are multiple universes all clustered in a beautiful forest-like grove, and travelled to another universe, and conversed with the beings I found in that planet, and then came back. I’ve spoken with an Entity for a time and then split off to do my own thing again.

I’ve also travelled to a higher plane in a meditation and found a realm that your very thoughts instantly became manifest. That any fear you had (like of something attacking) would come true and the way to solve that was to let the fear go and FEEL/INTEND that you are safe and healthy and whole, and the attacking fear would dissipate. Where you could just by changing your perception to be tall and big, would be so, where you could send yourself off through the land as fast or slow as your focus was. And where things wouldn’t bother you or pay attention to you if you Intended that. It was a wonderful exercise indeed! I accidentally did that meditation before bed and didn’t fully come back down from that so when I was woken up, I was still giddy and groggy and laughing from just sheer bliss. I was also oddly alert and yet had trouble speaking because I could feel the message I wanted to send but had briefly forgot HOW to work the lips, mouth, and throat of the heavy awkward body again to convey what I wanted to say. Eating was something that helped ground me again but it took hours for me to come back again since I really didn’t want to let that go lol!

When my spiritual mentor was worried I would go off on my own and never return again, had tried to get me to ground more firmly in my body. I tried but found myself almost starting to shut down when I did so, understanding mathematics very well but having trouble with the universal concepts and ideas and quantum mechanics which was new (usually its the opposite, trouble with the dry logical and step at a time mathematics, and ease with the quantum mechanics and its like), and started fading out and my spirit friends had to help me stop doing that and return to my natural state of being because according to one, “You were KILLING yourself doing this! Your spirit itself was fading away from sight!!” and he was rather frantic at that and the others were shaken too.

So my natural state of inhabiting my body is my spirit almost… floating within it, and connected but not fully cell to spirit crystalline cell connection though. And keeping the astral connections open is a must, if I close that off I feel like I’m dying while awake and conscious.

I also am able to comprehend the levels of the universe, the dimensions, energy flow and patterns, how different universes work, even remember bits and pieces from my life in the mega-universe that contained the universe and multi-verse as a sort of Experiment and remembering being one of those Scientists at times. But I fell in love with some of the souls here in this Universe and thus stayed for a while. I remember seeing the fall of the Universe before this one and parts of the creation of this Universe as well.

I feel like its been AGES since I was part of a Tao or creation source that some souls can report being part of until recently. I hypothesize that my soul (from the feels of it and the wordless and mostly feeling Knowing that I can access) does rejoin Tao at times but then often goes on its own way, learning and exploring and discovering and creating, because its so much more fun that way. A bit too independent to just exist in one space with many others all blended in and not being an active dynamic part of creation like the independent other sparks are.

I do talk/communicate with my soul often, with my spirit, with my body consciousness (she’s the most darling adorable talkative thing! *HUGS body consciousness!*) quite often, and I know my mind makeup rather well.

I am aware of layers to myself, where acquaintances and strangers hover beyond the surface, where they barely register to me. Most friends and family members only barely scratch the outside surface. Some good deep true friends and those family members I consider as such (I judge based on energy connection and knowing, understanding, and friendship qualities whether someone is close to me or not. Blood relations means almost nothing to me, its the person I care about, not physical body genetic ties.) get a layer lower. Then there is some more layers, and then there is a fog of energy protecting the very center bright hot white core of me. One person, my Essence Twin (Counterpart/Twin Flame/ and the person who in the mega-verse is my mate) ties right at the border of the energy fog and the center core of me, if not RIGHT at the core of me. Its a bond like no other and brings me such JOY and LOVE and LIFE that filled up the empty searching vessel I had before I met them. There is the spirit of me, then the soul fragment that this spirit comes from and some others do to. Then there is the main HUGE old soul that many many different people and fragments and aspects all share, not just me.

I even felt/sensed my other alternate lifetimes too and selves in alternate universes and timelines at times and were aware of them. By daydreaming, I can access their knowledge and bring that in so I myself do not have to physically go through it in order to know this. Its my theory for why if I daydream something it often doesn’t happen (like since I already experienced it through my daydreams [note daydreams and fantasies are completely different things to me] then I have to experience something completely different lol!) and something else happens instead.

My Twin and I even managed to change timelines from one alternate reality to another through conscious effort and Universal help once, when the other alternate reality was just never-ending nastiness and actually destroying my Twin. This reality in the spirit world/life sense is MUCH better lol! Easier and not as nasty. :)

Sometimes I really don’t realize how strange my life is until I type it out like this…. Because its just IDK natural and how my life is. *shrugs* Also talk with the Universe a lot, Higher Beings a great deal, Arch-angels and Gods and Goddesses a lot too before, and have helped some souls move on to the other side (not really all that wanting to go into the mediumship thing just yet though… eheh) as well as gotten visits from some strange beings that told me they “just wanted to see you” and then have to raise an eyebrow at them just calming looking me over and how I can count 6 events of that in my life of all sorts of different beings for no apparent reason other than they “wanted to see me” like just see/observe/pass by and see this strange attraction/person guys! Lol.

One even scared my cats when “he” (loosely using this since voice in head was interpreted as masculine/androgynous I think?) came in and was making clear (as in my physical eyes not just mind could see it which is RARE!) distortions in the air like a heat wave above hot pavement. Had an old wisened face like that on a tree trunk on his chest and a humanoid figure with a head but no face on the head, the face was on the chest, there. Lots of power and made my spirit guides then rather nervous in the face of power they were not used to seeing. He passed something onto me “A gift to you… in helping you reconnect with your past lives and past selves” after he said that he was there to “see me” like the others. He took his time just standing there and looking me over as if taking in the sight slowly before leaving at the end. Very interesting it was… O.e

Anyways I rambled lol. Sorry? I have loads more where it came from, which…. when I think of it says a lot of my life now. Must think that over a bit more? *blink*

Namaste and good night!

• 9 amanda 01 Feb 2014 at 11:33 pm

wow. wow. you must be special/ blessed! im only beginning to scratch the surface with my journey!!

• 10 Soul in Transit 02 Sep 2014 at 11:29 pm

This question is for Indigo……. You surely seem to be so very aware…. your words take me to a much different and higher place then this one I reside in now. I feel a level of peace like nothing else before. All uncertainties that I my have been carrying around seem to somehow not carry as much weight as they once did. For this I Thank You….

And I do not mean to impose my self or my life upon yours, but I wonder if you might be able to give me some insite into the connection of souls. I was wondering if it is possible for a deceased soul to draw or drain energy from one living? And if so… how do we detach ourselves from this draw?

And again… thank you.

4. 11 Andrew Wye 02 Nov 2013 at 2:28 am

Blair and Obama – Mature souls ?? – Not much empathy involved in creating fraudulent wars and sending drones out to kill on a daily basis.

• 12 barry 02 Nov 2013 at 7:07 pm

The challenge for any soul is to “act their age” in this world. Those in power rarely succeed. Politics is inherently competitive and antagonistic, which suits Young souls. For those in the early stage of the Mature phase, realising this could be an important lesson.

5. 13 Pollyanna 15 Dec 2013 at 8:54 pm

Just stumbled upon the website and spent the last 2 days pouring over it. Would love to know what my soul age is.
    I was brought up Roman Catholic but always felt that organised religion wasn’t for me although I always felt that there was “something” out there. I did okay(ish) at school and ended up struggling through a Chemistry degree and even did my teaching practice but it was a struggle and repeated a couple of years. Tried to get a job as an industrial chemist then as a chemistry teacher and failed miserably in both professions and as a result always felt like the worlds biggest failure and underachiever. For the last 5 years I have been working in a fairly basic admin role but never felt fulfilled. I have always felt slightly depressed like I’m carrying a burden, could this be a carry over from a previous life?

6. 14 Graham 14 Jan 2014 at 6:16 am

Does everybody come back as Tony Blair? Isn’t that dangerous?

• 15 barry 15 Jan 2014 at 9:42 pm

For whom?

• 16 Graham 15 Jan 2014 at 9:46 pm

Well, Iraqis for one.

• 17 barry 19 Jan 2014 at 5:05 pm

But your comment envisages everyone coming back as Tony Blair, including Iraqis presumably. Hence: dangerous for whom?

• 18 amanda 01 Feb 2014 at 11:51 pm

Barry thank you for sharing your wisdom. i feel ecstatic that we can finally have real conversations. i am pretty alone in my beliefs. i feel i am a mature soul, surrounded by young or baby souls. i am exhausted and drained and have been yearning for any type of deep connection, especially in my marriage. Its nonexistent. I have always had to ‘hold myself up.’ and Ive always built everyone else up, but rarely (never) had people do the same for me. I have always been looking for deeper meanings etc My deceased grandpa visited me in my dream at 18 and we spoke telepathically. I never questioned Gods love again. I also had a ghost say hello to me but I was so scared I didnt say anything. I meditate and read alot. i am 32 and possibly in my 4th transition? i think you call it.? I feel like Im spinning my wheels now. I am stuck financially in my current situation. I have FMS/CFS and out of work from that. Some days I barely have the energy/drive to shower! Clarity is elusive too! I could really use any insight advice etc you could offer. Im not sure wth im supposed to be doing. Many blessings to you Barry! Namaste to all here!
            Amanda

• 19 barry 06 Feb 2014 at 10:35 am

Hi Amanda

I’ve been conversing with you on other pages but overlooked this one (CFS here too!).

Basically I see you as having the goal of Growth. What that means, in some ways it’s as if you start life from scratch and have to “bootstrap” yourself in terms of understanding why you’re here and what to do. Some people are born knowing what to do with their lives – be a mother, play piano concertos, be a great architect. Those lucky bastards don’t have goal of Growth, because whole point of growth is to confront uncertainty and the void of meaning and purpose we can feel inside. This very sense of void is what spurs us, as we go through life, to **find our own way** to meaning, understanding and fulfilment. Bit by bit we take in what seems true for us and shed what doesn’t. Eventually (hopefully) we are at least clear in our purpose: to use the unique wisdom we have gained. All those conflicts are grist for the mill for the soul’s deepening awareness.

• 20 JediJack 15 Sep 2014 at 6:17 am

I was wondering if you could help in my interpretations. I was very happy to find your site as soul age has always interested me. I have always kinda felt like an “infant” soul i guess, or atleast thats what i thought. I strongly believe i was some sort of tribal shaman in a past life, i dislike modern society and feel like i would be much happier living in the wild among a tribe like that of ancient native americans. It is this feeling of “oneness” with the world that i miss and feel the”disconnection” that leads me to believe i am a very young/infant soul. Also because i often feel like i dont know how to act or fit in socially and emotionaly in society. It often feels like others have way more insight than myself. However after reading i feel i also relate to the “mature soul” very much so. I am very attracted to mythology and religious like ideas, but claim none as my own, yet love learning about them. I also agree with the fact i dont understand the ‘young souls’ i dont agree with the competitiveness and feel we should all work together. Im very loyal to my friends/family/team. I am also a writer/musician/entertainer, not too concerned with fame/wealth, just doing what i enjoy because i enjoy it, and hopefully inspiring people along the way. I often struggle with depression also. So you see, it seems i am very confused at times, but also have occasional moments of clarity. Where i feel like i know why i am here and what i need to do. My problems often lie in the ‘how do i accomplish this’ zone. Anyways you seem very insightful on the subject and i was just wondering if you would have any idea on what stage of soul evolution i am at. Seems to me i am torn between the infant or mature stage, yet the baby and young stage definitely do not sound like me. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

• 21 JediJack 15 Sep 2014 at 7:23 am

I should also add a bit about myself as well i know i kind of rambled on. I am 30yrs in human age, though often feel stuck in my early 20s. a cancer by astrological sign. I am creative and also very interested in healing by natural/herbal methods. Thus believe to be artisan/priest type.

I have had multiple dreams where i am stabbed or shot in the back, always in the same spot. Often still feeling the wound/pain when waking. I used to think this was a prediction of my future but have recently gave thought to the idea that it may be how i died in a past life?

In addition, i have always felt like i was destined to be a great leader or inspire great change. However, going with this same past life theory of my dreams, maybe i already was, and that is how i met my demise. Could explain why i often think of things like that. could also explain why in my current life, i am hesitant to take on leadership roles, but deep down know i am good at it. Self doubt.

Than again it could very well be a glimpse into my future (or perhaps future life even, if thats possible). Perhaps the purpose of my current life is to regain my confidence so that i may go on to be a greater leader in another life.

Either way is very interesting to me and would love to explore or discuss these ideas more.

Happy to have found your blog and this community

7. 22 Graham 19 Jan 2014 at 5:23 pm

Well, if mature soul leaders come back as Tony Blair-alikes, you’ve got to fear for the Iraqis.

8. 23 Seeker 10 Mar 2014 at 3:16 am

First of all, I would like to compliment and thank you, Barry, for this website.
    Each article you wrote is the clear result of a deep understanding of the mechanics of life and people’s inner nature.
    I am particularly surprised and pleased to read in your words a confirmation and clarification to most of the implicit schemes and “rules” of existence I have been progressively gotten to feel aware of, in the last few years (even though in a less compelete and structured way).
    And now it’s really like watching a fog bank being swept away by the wind.

I have recently started researching about the spiritual world, primarily because I have been fashinated by one thing I have been noticing about myself lately, even though I guess it was just the straw that broke the camel’s back: I often feel like I know things without experiencing them, I perceive how others feel or will feel, even in situations that are alien to me. And some people (at least the ones who are close to me) notice it.

For instance, I am 21, but it happens more often that is me the one who gives advice and suggestions to my mother (my closest parent) than the other way around.
    When it comes to personal problems, especially those involving self-consciousness and the relationship with others, most of the time I realize I just know the answers, the solutions, how things work, even without having experienced them. So I just share them with those who ask, but I don’t really feel the need to do this with people in general though.

I can say I feel a quite deep self recognition in the profile of the Mature Soul and also in some typical traits of the Old Soul. In particular, I guess I may be a Scholar one.

Thank you again Barry for your help and I wish to all of you guys to find what you are looking for.

• 24 barry 24 Mar 2014 at 2:46 pm

Wonderful! Many thanks, seeker.

9. 25 Ayden Barness 14 Apr 2014 at 2:28 am

how do you know when to be mature

• 26 barry 14 Apr 2014 at 8:04 pm

Hi Ayden,
      Well, I could ask you, how do you know when to be young, or old? How do you know when to be less than mature? You just are when you are because it’s where you naturally are.
      In any life, regardless of your soul maturity, you start out as an immature infant. Then over the years you gradually expand until around age 40 when you reach, or at least begin to reach for, your “full height” – the full maturity of which you are capable given your soul stage.
      In mature adulthood (say 40-60) you will feel like much more of you is present and pointing in the right direction than when you are in your youth.
      Hope that makes sense
      B

• 27 Ayden Barness 15 Apr 2014 at 1:25 am

thanks for the information Barry!

• 28 Ayden Barness 15 Apr 2014 at 1:36 am

does helping your sister and showing her from right from wrong mature?does being mature help you later on in life?does maturity help you become a man?I am in the puberty stage and I am sometimes I act like a infant soul and sometimes I act like a mature soul.So I have been trying to act like a mature soul.So how can I prevent myself from acting like a infant soul.

• 29 barry 18 Apr 2014 at 8:22 pm

Hi again,

Someone once said that the first sign of maturity is taking your raincoat with you if it looks like it might rain, even though your mother is telling you to do exactly that!

“does helping your sister and showing her from right from wrong mature?”

Certainly, if the intention behind it is sincere.

“does being mature help you later on in life?”

I’m not sure if by “mature” you specifically mean mature as a person or as a soul. Either way, it’s an interesting question.

The mature soul stage is often said to be the hardest of all because of the complexity of balancing multiple internal and external perceptions and choices. This is particularly hard when you are surrounded by younger souls, but not so much when you are surrounded by mature/older souls. (Souls on the same wavelength tend to find each other and “flock together” once they leave home/school.)

So why is being a mature soul in adulthood so complex? In part it’s about becoming aware of the different layers of oneself. Behind the superficial “outer you” that interacts with the world is the deeper, more self-aware “inner you”. This is closer to the real you, though it may or may not be perceived by others (depending on their own maturity).

In part, the complexity is also down to the fact that one is increasingly aware of others and sensitive to their inner lives – wondering what others might think or feel if I do this or that.

The trick to dealing with all this is not to deny or avoid it — those who really struggle are the ones who think it’s all too much and should be suppressed. (Mature souls do have a habit of finding relief in drugs and alcohol.)

The thing to understand – the thing that can really help – is knowing that being a mature soul is all about experiencing and handling inner conflict. It’s normal. It’s the name of the game. As an example, imagine wanting to end a relationship but, equally, not wanting the other person to experience being let down or abandoned. When we experience inner conflict, we also feel a bit of anxiety. This is natural.

Now, younger souls will do almost anything to avoid inner conflict and anxiety. Mature souls, however, just get over it. It’s sort of part of growing up. Conflict is OK. It shows us that life isn’t as simple as some people make out. It’s an opportunity to deepen our wisdom, find our own true values and principles. AND be willing to change. Mature souls are drawn to personal growth courses, books, teachings, etc. because they want to change but often don’t yet understand the ‘best’ way to go, or how to handle so many conflicting goals and perceptions.

Knowing that this is just how it is for a mature soul (having all these different ways of perceiving oneself and others), the challenge then is one of “pulling yourself together”, I.e. bringing all this diversity together into a coherent whole, a bigger you. You eventually become a new self in which the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. More integrated, less conflicted.

If you are surrounded by mostly younger souls, you might notice that a lot of people around you don’t seem to have the same depth of inner awareness going on. That can make you feel like the odd one out, and rather self-conscious about being so “soft” and “weird”. So being mature can be tricky in that kind of situation, but as you grow you will naturally gravitate to others who are on the same wavelength as you.

The “advantage” of being mature in later life is the authenticity you bring, both to your work and to your relationships. In fact, work is just another place where you can try to appreciate the uniqueness and validity of other individuals AND be yourself at the same time.

“does maturity help you become a man?”

Depends what you mean by a man. If you mean a tough guy who kicks ass and threatens anyone who doesn’t show him enough respect, then no. If you mean a thoughtful guy who takes full responsibility for his own decisions and actions, and has no intention of ever hurting or using anyone, then yes.

“How can I prevent myself from acting like an Infant soul?”

I know what you mean.

The past is always inside us. We are a bit like trees (or onions) in that inside us are the “rings” or layers representing every stage we’ve grown through. The old infantile and juvenile tendencies are still there, as your more mature levels build upon them.

Growing means including the past and building on the lessons learned, not demolishing our past or hiding it. So it’s a matter of recognising our “lesser” aspects and deciding how to handle them – even getting them out for a bit of fun now and then if you like.

Main thing though is not to pretend that those immature parts of you don’t exist. What we deny in ourselves is what leaks out in blind, destructive ways. Just be mindful of your many inner “layers” or patterns, and be conscious of how you choose to express them (or not). For example, I can be like a child when I’m drunk (very silly and playful), but I’ve had to learn through some unfortunate experiences not to be obnoxious. It’s a case of being aware and setting your best intent.

Cheers and good luck with everything

Barry

10. 30 Picnicl 12 May 2014 at 3:58 pm

A mature soul can and does exist at any age of life. The problem is that many adults make a mockery of it. These adults might have mature physical or specific knowledge based skills and rudimentary diplomatic skills but they don’t have the kind of intense emotional skills that make someone feel unconditionally loved and supported with an understanding of how the past has been and how the future can be with the right planning. Many adults now seem to carry around this baggage of selfish guilt that they can never properly dispose of.

11. 31 Yanling Chin 14 Jun 2014 at 2:15 pm

Hi Barry,

Michael Teachings as recommended by Finding Your Soul is regarded by me as a “life study”. To gain more insights, grow up and built up wisdom in the meantime. Thank you for creating this website, providing another source to gain wisdom. However, I am “stuck” about my soul age and the role. Given the following descriptions, can you do a “wild guess” about my age and role?

1) First of all, I experienced a not so smooth childhood / youth, maybe related to having communication problems (1.5 year ago diagnosed with autism) and having a “messy mind” without structure.

2) Secondly, I am a deep thinker and dedicate my free time for personal development, spirituality, new age topics, Buddhism, psychology (esp. now after I know I am existing to grow with life lessons). I like reading literature about these, contemplate and write articles using those elements that I learned and have recognized.

3) Thirdly, I am very creative and open, sometimes I am not pleased with this. Being creative, I am not always grounded and practical, not being in the reality of “Now”. People usually say that they feel I am honest and open. Individuals like to share their emotions and feelings with me, seeing me as a mirror to reflect. I don’t really see myself like that at all.. Deeply within I know that I want to help the society on a larger scale, not specific individuals. That is also the reason why I feel the urge to write articles to give people deeper knowledge and help them raise their consciousness. I know deeply that aligning with our own soul, nature, essence is the solution to all the problems we have in life.

I am “struggling” between a mature soul and infant soul, between an artisan and a priest. All the worldly pleasures do not give me much satisfaction now and not feeling the same as the majority of people. I guess I am transitioning into another phase, but what exactly is not known. That is why I suspect myself being a mature soul.
    But during some social interactions, fear is holding me back. So I believe I have some hidden emotions that I still need to work on to release. I read about infant souls being not well socially, also open and honest.
    As for the role, I am creative, but it is about the product of my creation without a meaning, but having creations to help inner alignment.

So what do you think, Barry? Thanks!

• 32 barry 18 Jun 2014 at 5:13 pm

Hi Yanling,

I wasn’t aware of the Finding Your Soul book (Thayer White, yeah?), so thanks for that.

OK, without even reading your self-description, I see a wide-eyed Artisan (right down to the regulation glasses!).

And at a guess, a Priest-cast Mature Artisan, the same as my dear wife.

As for your specific points:-

1) A “messy mind” is typical – the Artisan mind works more like a floating dream factory, spinning off in multiple directions, rather than a linear computer (like us Scholars) … which makes for some interesting conversations in our household… My wife’s mind is reined in, however, by certain overleaves – Intellectual centering, mode of Caution and attitude of Scepticism, so she’s very good at analysing stuff (unlike me, I’m more impressionistic). And my first impression of you is … possibly … attitude of Spiritualism, which is basically open-minded to the max, but this is guesswork on my part. You should get you a reading from a proper channel!

2) This is typical of a Mature soul with an open mind, ready to begin/continue the inner search for self-understanding in this life.

3) Artisan, Artisan, Artisan.

The urge to give on a deeper level of significance is also suggestive of Priest-casting: in my wife’s case, for example, she is clearly a creative Artisan, but being Priest-cast it is creating things that serve some higher purpose or social value that really motivates her.

If you were an Infant soul, you probably wouldn’t be looking at websites like this, seeking insights and greater awareness. You would be more likely living in a backwoods hut, picking fights with innocent visitors, all of whom (to an Infant soul) can seem threatening and dangerous. That’s what is meant by infant souls being described as not well socially adjusted.

Whereas for a Mature soul, struggling with the very heart of relationships is the “prime directive” so to speak – the soul’s mission is to find its own way through the real messiness of relationships. In other words, as a Mature soul you not only “get” that everyone else has an inner life (subjective perceptions/reactions) just like you, but that they also have distortions in how they perceive you, which you can detect, but you cannot alter except by ensuring that what they see of you is the real you… and even then they still might not see you as you see yourself …

In the end, you just have to be authentic, live your truest sense of purpose, and it’s up to others to make of you what they will – but rest assured that, by some law of nature, like-minded souls will come to see you and appreciate you and will benefit from your work.

Barry

12. 33 Kai 28 Jun 2014 at 10:12 pm

I love this blog!! Thank you. Are you open to do a guest blog?

• 34 barry 08 Jul 2014 at 12:35 pm

Sorry, a what?

13. 35 jessica 04 Jul 2014 at 4:45 am

forgive me if it has already been asked or if this goes against the concept of the soul’s journey, but for someone who believes themselves to be a mature soul battling with the constant internalisation and analysis aside from meditation, yoga, exercise, how can we achieve peace?

• 36 barry 29 Aug 2014 at 7:25 am

Hi Jessica

Sorry, I’m trawling through my comments queue and just came across yours unanswered.
      My bad.

So how to achieve peace aside from meditation, yoga, and exercise? And by peace you presumably mean relief from the inner turmoils, questioning, and introspection that go with being a very self-aware and mindful Mature soul?

I can relate to this from my own experience, but I don’t want to assume that your experience is the same as mine. It would help to have a sense of your soul & personality characteristics. For example, aside from Mature soul, do you think you might be a Scholar? The Scholar role is also introspective and analytical, so being a Mature Scholar is like a double helping. Also there’s the goal of Growth (= living life as a quest for understanding). I have this. It makes for complex life experiences which we try to make sense of by studying, reading, meditating, etc. In the negative pole (ie when fear/stress is predominant), this results in confusion and overwhelm. There’s too much going on at once – you can’t see the wood for the trees. Perhaps this is part of what you are experiencing?

And then there’s Intellectual Centering (= using thought as one’s “central processor” as opposed to feelings or actions), which I don’t have though my wife does. In this case there is a tendency to over-analyse and verbalise when in the negative pole.

Anyway, what occurs to me is that to get beyond ruminating on whatever is filling your mind you need to EXPRESS it all in some way – either to another person (counsellor, therapist) or – better for introverts – through daily journaling. Recent research shows that journaling actually improves physical health! The communication or expression of your inner stuff is also what clears it out, like opening the windows to let the stuffy air out and fresh air in.

Hope that helps for now

Barry

14. 37 Kai 08 Jul 2014 at 12:37 pm

Lol nevermind

15. 38 Maya 16 Jul 2014 at 9:32 pm

Hi,

Found your blog quite interesting.

I have many questions about my own existence…….

I had a troubled childhood and had to witness daily strife between parents whose scars are still there in my memory. I was an average student till primary school but dont know what got into me and thereafter channelized all my energy towards studies and went on to become topper of School.

I always liked company of seniors better than that of my classmates as there was more to learn. I always flow with the flow of life….got into a career which involved dealing with people double or triple of my age but was instantly comfortable as my instinct always guided me what the other person might be expecting.

I had a fabulous career with great money but the money never gave me any peace of mind. Although i excelled in work i also hated it to the extent that it had started deteriorating my health (anxiety,palpitations etc). I recently had a baby and thus altogether left my job and all those physical symptoms have subsided.

i now know that if we get our soul to do what it does not intend to do then there can be physical manifestations.

I read a couple of books by Dr. Brian Weiss and since then my curiosity has further increased. I believe in Re-incarnation and Karma. I in fact met my spouse randomly and it was sheer chance that our paths crossed. I am now self-employed and the field in which i am operating now is highly fulfilling as there is great scope to learn new things.

Sometimes i feel overwhelmed at the thought that there is so much to read and learn that this single lifetime will fall short.Many a times while doing a thing i get a feeling that i have done this before but cant recall when and where.

It has happened 3-4 times that i desperately wanted a thing and got the answers in my dreams. No one believes me. I am not religious or do any ritual or go to temple but believe in oneness of god.

Despite all these, my life is full of instances wherein i have been so so jealous of a fellow friend or egoistic that it makes me ponder as to who i am……good or bad?

What do you think i am? Baby, Young or Mature Soul?

I can be utterly generous to strangers but can’t stand even some close relatives of mine. I do care for them but cant get myself to love them.

Am i an Artisan or a Sage?

Do you believe in astrology? Does date of birth has got anything to do with soul advancement level?

Any tip for me to further enhance my spiritual progression and to avoid things like jealousy, ego etc?

Maya: I’ve edited your single block of text into paragraphs – hope that’s OK – Barry

• 39 Maya 24 Jul 2014 at 7:00 pm

Ok. Awaiting your reply :)

• 40 barry 26 Jul 2014 at 12:52 pm

Hi Maya,

Thanks for waiting. I often only have time & energy to read & write here in short bursts, so sometimes there’s a lag between reading the comment and responding to it.

So:

“my life is full of instances wherein i have been so so jealous of a fellow friend or egoistic that it makes me ponder as to who i am……good or bad?”

In your heart of hearts, you — the real you, the essence of you — is Good with a capital G.

Your true nature is loving, giving, uplifting — but you also have choice in how you show yourself in any moment. And you also have an outward-pointing human mind which may not recognise any of this. You are a like a valve through which the fabulous energy of Source can either pour through you to others, or it can just stand there blocked and stagnant, or it can be anything in between. The more your recognise and own your true nature, and lose any fear of others by recognising their true nature, the more you feel willing to open the valve and let the light shine through you.

But no human being is perfect, nor are they expected to be. In your personality and ego, there is the potential for confusion and negativity. We all have strands of immaturity in us. We each grow up in life with a trait of ego defensiveness (a “chief feature”) that is characterised by negativity, immature perceptions and self-hiding.

Jealousy, I would suggest, is a component of the trait known as Greed. That’s not necessarily greed in the sense of grasping for money, but any kind of needy, clinging, over-attachment — e.g., to attention, or to sympathy, or to feeling protected, etc. Typically the mind remembers early experiences of terrible deprivation of loss, and DREADS such experiences ever re-occurring, so the ego vows never to let that happen again by coming up with various strategies — grasping, jumping the queue, hoarding, taking more than is needed, risking all for the next gain.

Jealousy is akin to envy. In both cases, you see someone else who has something you would dearly like to have for yourself. With envy, you merely wish that you had it, and maybe get feel the frustration of that, but you can also laugh it off if you’re mature enough. With jealousy, you don’t simply want the same thing; you “NEED” it, and you might even want the other person to LOSE it, and to feel the same terrible LACK that you feel when you compare yourself with them, and you might also look for reasons to justify why you deserve it more than them.

Why? Because you fear that any experience of lacking whatever-it-is in your case (money, success, fame, sex, etc.) is absolute — that is, it forever limits who you are and who you can be. “If I don’t win that jackpot, that’s it. It proves that I’m a nobody.”

I don’t have jealousy but I do have a shedload of shame, which goes with the chief feature of Self-Deprecation. With shame, I always fear being exposed as a bad person – forever.

Jealousy, shame and all these other dark, ugly emotions are all derivative from one core emotion: FEAR. The fear itself is irrational to adult eyes, but it sits within a part of us that formed during childhood, when it seemed overwhelmingly threatening. The main way to deal with it is to go inside yourself and identify the specific fear — name it, look at it, see what ideas feed into to it, see what negative behaviours come out of it.

What do you think i am? Baby, Young or Mature Soul?

The very fact that you have many questions about your existence is pretty much a big signpost saying Mature Soul Here.

I would guess you are approx. mid-Mature, which means focusing more inwardly than outwardly, and more collaboratively than competitively, and seeking for clues as to the meaning and purpose of life. And if (like me) you have a goal of Growth, then doing the seeking very explicitly, perhaps almost obsessively!

When you say, “Sometimes i feel overwhelmed at the thought that there is so much to read and learn that this single lifetime will fall short”, you are ringing my bell too. Impatience often goes with the goal of Growth. “I need to understand EVERYTHING – but life is so short and time is running out!”

Another common aspect of lives with the goal of Growth, if that is indeed what you are driven by in this life, is the tendency to lurch between contrasting experiences – high and low, or success and failure, or fame and infamy (to give a few examples) – as a way to learn, first through a process of compare-and-contrast, and second by internally integrating and transcending the two. We grow by understanding the seemingly conflicting tendencies within us, and by finally knowing them to be just two sides of the same coin we become that bit more whole.

It’s interesting that you have always preferred the company of older people, which suggests you are probably an older soul relative to others around you. I get the impression that you were raised in a Young soul-centric culture or community with a “must-win-no-matter-what” attitude, and you went with it, going with the flow, until you reached the point at which you felt the dissonance of being well-off yet unfulfilled, and that awakened your deeper awareness.

I would also suspect, by the way, that this was in your soul’s life-plan all along: “I’ll see through the false trappings of wealth by becoming wealthy and then finding it hollow and meaningless and needlessly stressful.”

To return briefly to your liking the company of older people, it’s also possible that you have particularly flourished in recent lives as a middle-aged or older person, and that’s where you feel most comfortable. You intuitively “feel right” at that age – the age at which ego ambitions are set aside (in Mature and Old souls that is) in favour of some meaningful, heart-felt purpose. Again, the fact that others don’t believe you when you talk about your dream experiences suggests you haven’t found “your people” yet.

Am i an Artisan or a Sage?

Not sure to be honest. If those are the only choices I would go with Artisan. Going on first impressions, your writing style is a bit too ‘conservative’ for a typical flamboyant Sage, and more like the casual freestyle of Artisans. But aside from that I have little to go on regarding type (the energy you put out), though your age (the level of awareness within) is more obvious.

Do you believe in astrology?

I have little to no experience of astrology, but I have a lot of friends who swear by it so I respect that. I have specifically avoided getting into it because it’s such a huge area that I could happily throw my Scholarly brain into, but I find that I prefer to focus on something a bit ‘different’, less well known, so I have thrown my brain into the Michael teachings and similar material.

Does date of birth has got anything to do with soul advancement level?

As far as I understand it, a birth chart reveals your current life plan (goal, challenges, etc). I don’t think soul age/level is featured.

1. There is one great tip that covers everything and that is self-honesty. Look at yourself with clear (but compassionate) eyes. Look at your issues and question them – “But why?” – until you get to the root. The root will always be a specific fear of some description.

2. Keep a journal and write it all down – be as honest with yourself as you can. Hide nothing from yourself.

3. Share your innermost self with others. Either with a trusted friend, or in a growth group, or in the form of a blog. Bringing your hideously embarrassing “stuff” (memories, attitudes, jealousies) up from your unconscious shadows into the light of awareness — not just of your own awareness but the shared awareness of others — is the perfect way to rob the ego of the power of secrecy.

4. When in doubt or fear, ask for support from “them up there.” You never know what might show up!

Hope this helps

Barry

16. 41 Maya 30 Jul 2014 at 6:02 pm

Hi Barry,

Thank you. That was quite insightful. My quest will continue. I make it a point to read as much as i can on this subject…..so far i am just gathering width. Once i will be sure as to what i truly believe in and that sounds plausible to my essence then i would be glad in measuring the depth too.
    So far, my essence is quite in sync with your thought process….very refreshing and logical. The best takeaway for me was that to never obstruct anyone’s freewill…..I think that can do wonders for me. :)

17. 42 Linda 07 Aug 2014 at 3:28 am

So I stumbled upon this and I couldn’t be happier that I did. This entails a big part of what I want to understand. I’ve always just thought of myself as an old soul in the way that from as long as I can remember I’ve conveyed empathy and emotion for others as well as wanting a deeper understanding of who I am and why I’m here, also how am I here. I’ve never taken the initiative to look into what maybe makes me this way until recently in my life. I just turned 20 years old, and I’m hoping I can say this without sounding like a nut or like I don’t take this seriously but I am a pretty big believer not so much in zodiac signs and horoscopes but my personal connection to what is a general personality, life style and emotional connection to what is associated with the sign I was born under. Once again, even when I was little I would ALWAYS read the zodiac calendar and horoscope in the newspaper or online but I always felt like a weird kid, like I wanted to hide the fact that I was genuinely interested and excited to read about it. I’m a cancer, born July 17th. I consider myself largely associated with the moon and water, sometimes I really can’t explain why I’m so drawn to the idea of the moon and what it represents spiritually but being drawn to water is what I have less understanding of. Now reading this it’s given me a better understanding of why am so drawn to being rational but drawn to emotions and emotional connections even though most people or souls under whatever sign tend to irritate me. I feel like I judge people I meet a lot more than I should based on how they act towards other people, whether they make decisions based on my idea of someone with a shallow mind or how they reflect on the scale of body based decisions compared to spirit or soul based (cont)

18. 43 Linda 07 Aug 2014 at 3:50 am

decisions (continued comment)
    I’m usually pretty sensitive in determining someone’s level of wanting to have a deeper understanding of the same things that I do, I want to know why I’ve always felt like, in my terms, an old soul. I’ve just always felt things on a higher level of awareness like own feelings, others emotions, and since I was little I’ve wondered about my souls separation from my physical body, wondering, “why am I here, why was I put into this body, is my soul a separate vessel than my body, am I what I feel inside or is what I feel inside part of my physical mind?” Like I said, I’ve thought these things since I can remember. I always knew that other kids and now adults don’t typically think about these things, I’ve always wondered why I felt so different. I still wonder. Sometimes when I meet someone I just think and ask myself how a living being can have such little concern for WHY they are in this place and time, what purpose is there for ME being present during this one second of existence? Why am I, who I am? I just never understood how people never seemed to be concerned about it, but this article makes sense of why I’m so concerned and sensitive to other people’s awareness to more than being here PHYSICALLY like their personal understanding could matter any less, but I’m also able to make sense of why I feel and think and value things differently than people around me. Thank you so much for this beautiful article, I feel a little more content now that I’m able to make even the slightest bit of sense out of things I’ve been wondering since I was a child. If you have any other articles, whether they be yours or someone else’s concerning incarnation, fate and destiny as opposed to choice and consequence, understanding what you feel is your soul and why you are personally drawn to certain things I would greatly appreciate some more to read. Once again, thank you so much for putting this into perspective. You’ve unintentionally helped me with a big step in my life and what is important to me.

• 44 barry 08 Aug 2014 at 2:24 pm

Very welcome Linda.

I would just say that from my understanding, fate and destiny are what the soul’s Life Plan looks like from the same soul’s human/personality perspective when incarnate.

We draw up a Life Plan before each life with a little help from our guides and mentors. Everything in it is carefully chosen. We choose our birth parents, location, overleaves (personality traits), key milestones, meeting points, karmic tasks, relationship agreements, early exit opportunities, and so on. I don’t mean that every second of our lives is predetermined by our own plan, as that would make us merely actors following a script. Rather, the plan is more like a rough timetable of events that are designed to help wake us up and be fully present in life, as conscious as we can be in order to really CHOOSE how we EXPERIENCE each key event when it happens – whether it’s falling out of a window, getting addicted to heroin, being inspired by a great coach, or marrying the love of our life.

As far as I understand it, astrology is best used as a way to reveal the Life Plan. We don’t normally remember our own Life Plan while incarnate, so when our life events seem to unfold as predicted by astrology, it looks like fate or destiny. It ALWAYS comes back to choices and consequences.

Cheers

Barry

• 45 Soul in Transit 27 Aug 2014 at 10:39 pm

Wow! Linda I’m not expert, in fact I have always wondered much the same. But do to recent events in my life I do believe that our souls are a separate body or vessel from our mind. I just not sure how physical our mind s really are. I mean, yes our brains are a physical thing, but our minds might be part of our astral bodies.

Thoughts, memories, ideas, emotions, words – things are real things, but they can not be held or touched physically. So though our thoughts are bio-chemically processed in our physical brains, I think they reach beyond it. I mean to say, I think our minds are not as limited as our bodies.

Again I’m no expert, but I have just recently experienced a kind of separation of my intellect and soul (intuition). And to be honest I’m not sure if this is suposed to be happening.

19. 46 Soul in Transit 27 Aug 2014 at 10:23 pm

Let me begin by saying that I give many thanks to the author of this site, and to you sir (Barry) for your insight into the matters of the soul and being. Now with that said, I also want to make clear that I DO NOT want to turn this into a discussion about drugs. Because my situation, condition, and/or confusion goes way beyond my use of DMT. My whole life I have been trying to figure out who I am and what is my purpose, and how do I fit into this world as a whole. And here I am 41 years old and still wondering. My life has been about a quest of knowledge and being able to express myself creatively. When I’m not people watching, lol… sorry, I’m trying to make sense of this crazy world. I have always been very interested in ancient history, religion and science, and I have always been an artist. I draw, write, paint, sculpt and make jewelry. As for jobs I have done interior design, architecture and civil and mechanical drafting, graphics and I have even dabbled in fashion design. So based on what I’ve read on this site, I am either a Mature or Old Soul, and more likely an Artisan, but could be a Scholar.

My use of DMT started less then a year ago, but my interest and/or discovery of it started several years back with me finding and reading “The Perfect Way,” by Ann Bonus Kingsford and Edward Maitland. For anyone who has ever read “The Perfect Way” I do not need to express all the possibilities and doors that opened up. One of those doors was the Astral and the search was on, then, as I said I found DMT.

I’m sure your wondering what any of this has to do with you, and to be honest I’m not sure. It’s just that you and some of the others on this site seem to be more informed and knowledgeable then others, and I need help. So I think before I go into too many details I should ask you if you are familiar with the Astral Body?

• 47 barry 27 Aug 2014 at 11:03 pm

Hi Soul in Transit

So glad you like the site, and many thanks for the feedback.

Based on what you’ve said about yourself so far, I’m guessing Mature (probably) or Old (possibly) Artisan with goal of Growth (quest for knowledge with confusion is the negative pole, comprehension of life, or wisdom, is the positive). And (possibly) mode of Observation.

FYI, over the last few days I have had the feeling that I am in now the midst of some pre-orchestrated synchronicity. Seems like you may be having the same feeling. I won’t go into too many details about mine just yet as I would need the permission of other individuals involved, but I am in one private discussion about experiencing DMT and another with a real master of lucid dreaming who knows all there is to know about experiencing astral travel.

I am familiar with DMT (though have never taken any) – I have the Spirit Molecule book somewhere in my vast scholarly collection.

I am also familiar (more in theory than practice) with the astral plane, the astral body, astral travel, meeting nonhuman beings through lucid dreaming, etc. (Several books on all that in my house!).

I’ve personally had a couple of lucid dreams which quite affected me, including one in which I revisited a past life in medieval Europe (the Pyrenees) when I was a guard, killed by a marauding gang leader who didn’t halt when I said halt but just cleaved my skull in two with an axe.

Hmm, just went off on a tangent there, but my intuition is telling me to go with it…

Look forward to hearing more,

Barry

• 48 Soul in Transit 28 Aug 2014 at 4:01 am

Negative pole… ouch. Well I guess that’s why I’m asking questions, just trying to bring myself out of this confusion. You have said that we preset our own lives, picking our parents, deciding major events or lessons that take place in our lives, etc. Do you believe that there are exceptions to this, and if so when, why and who?

From what I have gotten from “The Perfect Way,” our souls are the keepers of knowledge of our past lives. And our Astral Bodies play as a kind of veil concealing our souls? Do you believe this? If so, if for what reason would our souls be revealed to us and how would we obtain this knowledge from her?

I have so many other questions and things I want to say but I’m hesitant because I don’t want to sound crazy. Do you know of any meeting places or groups that get together whom discuss such issues?

• 49 barry 31 Aug 2014 at 11:13 am

Most of your questions are addressed already on the site, here and there, but to quickly run through them:
          – No, there are no exceptions that I am aware of. Why would we NOT choose our parents etc when all information about who they are and what will occur is automatically available to us? We know what we are doing when we set up lives … at least, to the degree that we understand, given our soul age.
          – Yes, between lives we have total access to all past life memories (and even future life probabilities). Our experiences are within our astral body, if you like. And all souls’ experiences are stored as part of the “Akashic records”.
          – When we incarnate into the body of a human infant, the soul memories become unconscious while our consciousness becomes fully identified with the intense sensations of the physical body, and the workings of the human brain. Thus we forget ourselves. Many refer to this as a veil of amnesia. It would be pretty horrendous to be a sweet young child with conscious access to all our past life traumas and karmic acts. Only a very old soul can handle that.
          – As we evolve, we are better able to start accessing our soul memories while in human form without being completely distracted, disorientated, confused or traumatised.
          – Meeting place / groups – there are numerous groups in Yahoo and elsewhere, just try googling “michael teachings discussion”.

cheers SiT

barry

20. 50 Pauline Wood 28 Aug 2014 at 12:51 pm

I have been reading into Michael teachings for around 8 months and I’m totally fascinated. I have struggled with low self esteem issues all of my life (which makes me think that I am probably a mature soul). Since reading the Michael teachings I do feel like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I never considered before that I suffered from low self esteem in order to grow as a soul. Along with this realisation and discovering running I have not quite changed (I’m still the same person) but because I am not hindered with self hatred and self doubt, I’m allowing myself to become the person that I have always been.

Of course I would like to know what age soul I have got and would consider a Michael reading in the future but in a way it doesn’t matter and neither does that authenticity of whether it actually exists. In my mind, if it makes you evaluate your life and helps you to forgive your imperfections then that is only a good thing. I will start forgiving myself more and think how I fit into my soul’s journey rather than just be caught up in a cycle of self hatred and doubt.

• 51 barry 30 Aug 2014 at 9:37 pm

Hi Pauline

Great to hear that you’ve found the Michael Teachings helpful. It certainly is liberating to see where you and others fit in one big “matrix” of possibilities. As for soul age – yes, this particular site mostly appeals to Mature souls who seek above all to understand and be understood. But you’re absolutely right – the label isn’t what matters, if the result is you find greater freedom and self-forgiveness.

Barry

Leave a question or comment (I can't always respond but will do my best ...)

Enlightenment Intensives

If you have ever wanted to experience for yourself a moment of genuine spiritual awakening, or if you simply want to know who you truly are, then an Enlightenment Intensive could be for you. Highly recommended.

In the USA, see:

In the UK:

Or to find out more, see my articles here:

Recommended book

Spiritual Turning Points

A Metaphysical Perspective of the Seven Life Transitions

Amazon link

Author:

Victoria Marina-Tompkins

Publisher:

Xlibris, Corp. (January 25, 2011)

A groundbreaking look at the Seven Life Transitions --

• Birth
  • the Terrible Twos
  • Adolescence
  • Mid-life Crisis
  • Life Review
  • Dying
  • Death

-- through the lens of the Michael Teachings, Shamanism and Astrology.

Order from Amazon: